Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Look in your rearview mirror!

This last weekend I had a chance to go for a ride-along with the California Highway Patrol (CHP). No, I am not looking to join up. For those of you who don't know, I am a former law enforcement officer. I worked for a few cities in the Stanislaus County during my tenure. It was a wonderful experience and I learned a great deal about society, life and a few other things.

One of the few side effects of leaving a career in law enforcement is the times when you miss what you did. When you actually made a difference in the lives or safety of those who were helping. It is during those few moments that you truly question whether you should have switched careers.

Of course, those moments are usually short lived. As soon as I come home from work, or go to church to serve, I quickly realize why God has me doing what I am doing.

So, why the ride along? First, because I have a great friend I met at New Life who is currently serving with the CHP. Second, because I was missing what I did. Third, I thought it would be fun. It was. I had a blast. I really enjoyed my time out there for a couple of reasons.

It gave me the adrenaline rush I came to enjoy. It reminded me of the good that these people do for society. It also reminded me why I am glad to not be doing it anymore.

If you have a chance to ride out with a law enforcement agency. Do it. It will open your eyes to whole new side of society, that most of us don't get to see.

Also, much like our military, please be praying for the people serving in public safety careers. They are the ones protecting you and I and are there when we need them the most!

No comments: