Wednesday, March 25, 2009

6 of 1440 or 1/2%

Yesterday I talked about gingivitis and how God used something as corny as that to teach me a lesson. I wanted to continue that discussion a little bit today. If you haven't read yesterday's post, go do that first here.

I wanted to talk a bit more today about what God (and our dentists) are calling us to do. As hard as it is for me to floss regularly, I find it amazing at how little our Dentist is requiring of us. Brush for 2 minutes in the morning, 2 minutes in the evening and floss (less than 2 minutes) once per day. 6 minutes! In 24 hours, that is less than 1/2 of 1 % of our day. We spend more time trying to decide what to eat for dinner.

However, as little as the time requirement is, I still have a hard time getting it done... especially at night when I am ready to crash. I go to work for 8+ hours, spend a couple hours with the kids and Autumn, watch some TV and sleep for 8+ hours in any given day... but ask for 6 minutes and I whine about it.

The truth is, God isn't asking for much more when it comes to studying His Word. Just a few minutes every day. Read a couple verses in the morning and pray. Read a couple verses in the evening and pray. It doesn't take much. However, it is equally as hard to accomplish that, as it is to accomplish the simplest of hygiene.

Why?

Priorities. I would rather watch an extra 30 minutes of TV or spend a little longer reading blogs, until I am so tired I don't feel like flossing... or don't feel like reading His Word. It doesn't take much... a little reprioritizing and discipline.

I don't know what it will look like for you or how you are going to do it... but jut do it! Make the time...read the Word. Allow it to cleanse your heart and soul and keep that bacteria out!

No comments: