Wednesday, May 28, 2008

My Year through the Bible...The Passion of Job

I have been reading Job for the last week. I must admit that at first I wanted to skim through the book of Job. After the first few Chapters, it becomes more like poetry, and is not that exciting to read.

For some reason, I decided to go back and re-read it today. I actually got kind of hooked. I can't say that I got hooked on any specific verse, although there are a lot of good nuggets in there waiting for you.

What I walked away with was the amazing faith and passion that Job had in serving his God. The mere fact that he kept his heart focused on God, even after loosing everything and everyone and being cursed with his soars, is amazing.

I honestly don't know if I would be able to maintain that kind of faith and passion. I pray and hope I can!

Then, if that were not enough, his 3 friends (and advisers) then begin debating with him. They used tactics like "God is just" so Job must have unconfessed sin. They continue to find reason for Job's problems by finding fault in Job. Even through all of these attacks, Job remained focused on God and the fact that God was in control of his life.

Let me point out, Job did not doubt God was in control, but he did question why God is doing what he is doing. In fact, a large portion of the book of Job is Job crying out to God trying to understand why God allowed this to happen.

I have friends that are struggling with diseases like Cancer. We are going through some struggles in our own lives. I have other friends who have lost their jobs. Why? Why does this happen?

I can be one of those annoying Christians who say that "God is in control in all things, and in all things God will receive the Glory"....yeah, and how does that make me feel any better?

As I was working through these thoughts and trying to understand it, God put other words of wisdom in front of me, that I read in this post from Tim Stevens. I like it and appreciate it, and wanted to share it with you, as I see Job being an example of this:
  • Don't be afraid to say to God, "I don't get it...I don't understand."
  • God is not scared of your questions. He doesn't get mad at you for doubting Him.
  • At the end of the day, I have to press through my doubt in order to get to faith. You can't get to faith without doubt.
My prayers this week are 1) God make me more like Job (not the oozing soars part) that I may have faith and passion in you regardless of my trials 2)God I may not always understand or get it, so Lord let me bring my questions to you boldly, so that you may show me the Truth.

Thanks God!

No comments: