Thursday, July 30, 2009

Playing it safe

Do you play it safe? Is everything just right, so why mess it up?

That is a good description of me. I can make endless changes at work, at church or for someone else. However, when it comes to my family and I, change is dangerous...or at least that is the image I portray.

Do I like playing it safe? Certainly not. Who really does? We all want to be the "risk taker" and "adventurer", however for some of us, that is harder to do than others.

As I mentioned yesterday, I attended a funeral of someone who definitely didn't play it safe. during the open mic time, a guy got up to speak. He was about 6 ft 2, 300 pounds, shaved bald with a super huge goatee. He carried the image of a "big scary biker dude". When he got up to speak, he was very brief. He commented how great Ana was, and then told everyone there they need Jesus Christ. They need to find him today or someday soon. He then sat down.

No eloquent speech. No fancy words. Just bold and straight to the point. It made me say Wow....I am a wuss when it comes to talking about my God. The God who saved me from all eternity in Hell. Why is that I am so safe?

The solution... yeah, like I am THAT smart. I imagine it has something to do with the level of faith and trust we have in God. The more we have, the easier it is to take risks for Him. How do we build that faith and trust? I imagine more time with Him.

So, have you overcome being safe? What was your solution?

No comments: