Thursday, July 23, 2009

Backpacking Pt1

This last weekend, I went on a backpacking trip. We hiked from Crabtree trail head to Jewelery lake. The total trip was 23 miles round trip.

There are many reasons that people like to go backpacking. For some it is to "commune with nature", become "one" with the land; for others, it may be for physical fitness; others yet, may find peace and tranquility in backpacking away from the modern world.

Those are all great reasons, some of which I can relate to. However, for me the primary reason is for the mental challenge. If you have never been backpacking, then let me explain a bit. We went on a 23 mile round trip hike, carrying a 40lb backpack on my back, with an elevation climb from 7300 ft to 8400 ft, with ups and downs that required us to climb over 3000 ft in total. We had to sleep on the ground, endure mosquitoes, go potty behind trees, and use the lake as a bath.

I realize, for some, I may paint a depressing picture, however, it is very enjoyable for me. I am so busy all of the time. In fact, if I cut stuff from my life to slow down, I fill it with something else. I guess it is how I am wired. The most difficult thing for me is to let go of life and just give up complete control.

With backpacking, I don't have a choice. I cannot survive and complete this hike on my own will power. I simply do not have enough. I have to rely on God to make it through. As I begin focusing on him for strength, it allows me to forget about everything else going on in my life. I am able to let go completely, and fall back to a simple faith of complete trust in Him.

What one thing can you do, that will allow you to restart your system, let go of everything and trust in Him for the will power to survive?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OOOH MAN! You're right, Jason--in that picture, you look like you're wasting away! Those skinny legs and hallow eyes... It looks almost cartoonish! Freaky! I think it's best to stay in our nice air-conditioned, mosquito free, carpeted offices! You don't see deer stomping into your cubicle, saying, "Hey! Can I just pitch my tent and air out my smelly hooves?" do ya?