Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Changes Part 3

This afternoon I was watching M.A.S.H. on tv. Yes, I love watching it. In fact, I have seen every single episode... (no I am not bragging)!

The interesting thing about the sitcom, is that the show is not about laughs, or about entertainment...although they did a good job of both. Each episode has an underlying message relating to war, life issues, etc. The fact is, they do a great job bringing out the unsung pain and sorrow that comes along with defending our country. I realize it is light-hearted and not too serious; just hang in there with me.

The fact is, that as we serve in ministry (and staff in full time ministry have it 100 times worse) seeking God and following him can be very difficult. Often times, we just hear about how God used someone to do this or that...what we don't always hear about is all the blood, sweat and prayer that goes into seeking God and God's direction in our lives.

So many of us hear about how God is directing others and we wonder, why is it so much harder for me. The reality...it isn't. Everyone goes through the same difficult process. The key difference is some are natural risk takers and it is easier for them to make decisions completely on faith. For the rest of us "safe people" we are a little less of a risk taker. The result...more stress in determining God's direction for our lives. For me, I have to know absolutely that God is calling me to change or to take on a new direction.

That is the most difficult part of the change process that God is leading us on. I may or may not be called to change anything. Perhaps God is simply teaching me how to follow Him unconditionally with faith. I guess I won't know until it is all over.

Just know this...if you are trying to figure out what God is calling you to do today; you are not alone. We are all in this together.

No comments: