Thursday, July 2, 2009

Changes Part 2

I am prejudice...and so are you! The fact is we all have prejudices. Many of you are immediately thinking of racial prejudice. I am talking about that, but I am also talking about so much more.

We all have a foundation of prejudices which direct our lives. We have all developed a prejudice towards race, social class, religion, but also to certain businesses, types of businesses, restaurants, parts of the country, automobiles. The fact is I can go on and on about the many different prejudices we have established over our life time.

We have developed those prejudices through the influence of our parents, our surroundings, our experiences (good and bad), fears, and so much more. Since we tend to allow those prejudices to direct much of our lives, we tend (in many cases) to interact with those of similar prejudices. That results in the ability for many of us to live our entire lives without having our prejudices challenged.

Enter God!

As we seek God and begin to invite him to work in our lives, he begins to challenge our prejudices. He questions the opinions we have. Of course, the small ones (Coke vs. Pepsi or Giants vs. A's) he may leave alone; however, the more life impacting prejudices you can expect Him to question.

That is where I am today. God has really been challenging me; making me think about the prejudices I have established over the years. Are they right? Are they healthy? Do I need to rethink them? What does the Bible say about them? These are all questions that are coming up.

As I talked about yesterday, the question is: What am I going to do about it? I can say thanks, but no thanks...or I can take action. I choose action! The best part about it, is when I tell God I want to change, He gives me opportunities to change.

Have you heard the expression, "If you pray for patience, God won't give you patience; He will give you an opportunity to develop patience."? That is what is happening. As I seek Him to change these prejudices, He isn't changing them. Rather, He is giving me opportunities to develop change. Scary? Yes! Exciting? Yes!

God has opened my eyes to so many opportunities to grow, it amazes me. (Of course, it amazes me that I needed that much help in changing... argh!) I am excited to see what is around the next corner.

How about you? Are you willing to sit back and take a look at your prejudices and allow God to challenge you in them?...be careful what you wish for!

1 comment:

Darwin said...

I like this post! It is not easy to take a deep look inside and consider what prejudices we possess. One obvious prejudice I think the average middle-class American has is against Muslims. This is "rubber meets the road" stuff. I thank you for your courage to discuss it!