Thursday, September 10, 2009

Lunch Meeting

This last Tuesday I had a very interesting and uplifting lunch. I met a guy for lunch that comes from a denominational background, far different from what I am used to.

We were able to talk for almost 3 hours over lunch. During which time we talked about quite a few things. One of those things was what we believe and why.

As we were discussing many topics, such as, gifts of the Spirit, "Once saved always saved", and other "controversial" theological topics, I began to realize something about my walk. A lot of what I believed, was not based on my own understanding, but rather my indoctrination by the first churches I attended as a Christian.

Before you get concerned that I drank the kool-aide and will be shaving my head...oops half way there already! I didn't suddenly change who I am and what I believe. However, I am truly questioning why I believe what I believe. Let me explain.

I am not questioning fundamental Christianity. I definitely believe in Jesus and what he did for me on the cross. I am referring to those beliefs that differ between denominations, and even church to church. Does God still perform miracles today? Are there gifts of the Spirit today? Once saved, always saved or can you loose your salvation? These are all questions (and many more) that I have answers for. I am simply asking myself, now, where did these answers come from? Will I change what I believe? Maybe...Maybe not? However, it has prompted me to study those things for myself.

Let me encourage you to do the same. What do you believe? Why? I certainly am not telling you to question your Pastor or church leadership. However, as Christians, I think it is our obligation (and no one else) to study for ourselves to develop the beliefs that we are going to follow.

Crack open that Bible!

No comments: