Monday, August 3, 2009

Who's your family?

Last Sunday, we had Josh McDowell come and speak at our church on Sunday morning. I had a chance to hear him speak all 3 services because I was running sound. It was great.

One of the things that kept ringing in my ear all day was something he said, only in the 2ND service. He made the statement, "My family does not come before my ministry. They are my ministry...my first ministry!"

That really hit me hard. I have talked more than once about setting priorities. In fact last fall, I talked about my top 5 priorities here. The thing is, I have always thought it was important to put my family before my ministry. There has never been a doubt about it. I may have even heard it said before that my family is my ministry. For some reason, though, it really hit me when I heard it from Josh. It simply resonated in my heart.

Making your family your ministry gives life a whole new perspective. Instead of making time for your family, making sure that they receive your best...they become your reason for living. As that has resonated over the last week, I have re-prioritized things. I am now not just making time for my family, but rather I am making sure that I am ministering to my family.

Yes there is a difference...a big difference!

I am not sure where this new mindset will take me, and for some of you this may be old news. I am excited. I am excited to see where it is going to go for me as the Spiritual leader. I am excited to see where it is going to take my relationship with my wife and with my boys. I am just plain excited!

How about you? Men, is your family your ministry or are you simply making time for them?

1 comment:

Jon Nichols said...

I think I had one evening of success with this, last night! Thanks for the encouragement, Jas'!