Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What are your priorities?

So what are they? Everyone has them. Maybe you know what they are? Maybe you think you know what they are, but they really aren't.

Here is the deal. We all have priorities in life. The ones we want and the ones we act out in our life. Hopefully they are one in the same, but a lot of the time they criss-cross, overlap or separate from one another.

So, I thought I would share with you my top 5 priorities in life. First, I want to give you a disclaimer....you can't argue with me. These are MY priorities. You may or may not agree with them. Too Bad. However, my wife has ultimate permission to push into my life when I am not living them out in this order:

  1. God - My Lord and Savior. This MUST be first and foremost in our life. I quickly find when I don't put God first (and it does happen, way to often) it effects everything else I do. I cannot be affective in the next 4 if I am not doing this one right.
  2. Autumn - My spouse is very important to me. Next to God, she is the most important person in my life. Imagine if my priorities were the building blocks of life, with God as the foundation. My spouse would be the framing that holds up the rest!
  3. Children/Family - My boys and my family are amazing. I get so excited when I get to spend time with them. They rejuvenate me and give me the energy I need to work. They give me vision so that I understand why I work and do the things I do.
  4. Church - For some, this may be difficult to think that I would put my church before my job. The reality is, my church and my church family are more important to me than my job. God gave me my job and he will find me my next one when the time comes. That knowledge gives me the freedom to be there for my church if and when I am needed.
  5. Job - Let's face it, we all have to work. There are not that many of us who are independently wealthy and don't have to work. For the rest of us, we have to work. Often times, though, we forget and make our job the most important thing in our life. It just simply isn't the case. We do need to work hard, do a good job, and give it our best when we are at work; we also can strive for advancement and increasing responsibility and pay so that we can give our family more. However, it cannot come at a cost of the above 4. If we sacrifice the above for our job, then what are we working for?
If you have a different top 5 I would love to hear about them and why you chose yours.

No comments: