Thursday, May 28, 2009

Do numbers matter?

I have blogged about this before here; I think that there can be a real disconnect in the value of "numbers" in the church. I can clearly understand why. If we make it all about the numbers then there could be some real problems.

However, I think that when we use the "numbers" as a type of thermometer to see how effective we are at doing something, then I think numbers have a significant value. Let me give you another great example.

This year was the 2nd annual servolution for New Life Christian Center. I was not able to be a part of it, but if you attend New Life in any form, you can't go with out hearing about the way we showed love to our community.

Why does New Life do servolution? Is it for the increased attendance? No. Is it a marketing ploy for New Life? Absolutely Not! I think Pastor Dave said it best, when he was quoted as saying, "This isn't about making a name for ourselves or for New Life, it is about serving and loving our neighbors with the love of Jesus." That is why New Life does Servolution.

However, there is still value in numbers. Take a look at these numbers I received from Gena Larson's Blog and tell me if these numbers don't matter:
  • 1300+ volunteers
  • 120+ projects
  • 500 Food Baskets given away
  • 300 people were given community resources
  • 117 health people went through our health screening
  • 73 haircuts given
  • 1800 hot dogs eaten
  • 70 people gave blood at the blood drive
  • Approximately 15,000 man hours of work was donated by those who joined the Servolution!

Do these numbers not matter? Do these numbers not have value? Of course they do and yes they matter! Not as a tool for boasting but as a way to say, Yes! This is what God wants and He made God sized things happen!

Great job to the planning team and to all who did participate! You folks did some amazing stuff and I can't wait to be a part of it next year!

No comments: