Tuesday, January 6, 2009

2008 REVOLUTIONARY GOALS

Well, 2008 has come and gone and it is time to begin looking at 2009. However, I think that it is important to take a few minutes to look back over the year and evaluate.

Evaluate what went well.

Evaluate what went bad.

Evaluate what didn't even get looked at.

As we begin to review the past, we can learn from and plan for the future. At least I think that is how it is supposed to go. So, I thought I would take a few minutes and review my goals from 2008:

2008 Revolutionary Goals

Goal #1 - Read through the entire Bible: This went pretty well. A few glitches along the way, but I learned quite a bit. It is really interesting reading the Bible from front to back. You begin to see prophecy better and begin to see how books tie together. It was definitely something worth doing.

Goal #2 - Read 12 books: I was successful, and enjoyed every bit of it! Here is what I read:
Messy Spirituality by Mike Yaconelli
Help I'm Married to a Homeschooling Mom by Todd Wilson
Before You Hit the Wall by Danny Lehmann
The Familyman's Bathroom Book of Fathering by Todd Wilson
Pop Goes the Church by Tim Stevens
The Multi-site Church Revolution by Geoff Surratt, et. al.
The Big Idea by Dave Ferguson, et. al.
I was Broke, Now I'm Not by Joseph Sangl
Blue Prints, How to Build Godly Relationships by Perry Noble
Wild Goose Chase by Mark Batterson
Making Vision Stick by Andy Stanley
Searching For God Knows What by Donald Miller
The Shack by William P. YoungReading
The Daily Walk Bible NIV by God (ok rewritten by Walk Thru the Bible Ministries)

Goal #3 - 10 things I have never done before: Another successful goal, and I hope this is something that continues, even if I don't make a goal of it. Here is what I did:

1. ATV riding in the snow.
2. 7.5 mile hike in 1 day...and walked away from it!
3. Fly a kite with my boys.
4. Took Jordan to Ice Hockey Game.
5. Hawaii with Autumn and Boys.
6. Snorkeling in Maui.
7. Autumn and I went wine tasting in Napa.
8. Built a Sand Castle on the beach with my boys.
9. Took Austin to build a "Build-A-Bear". (probably for the last time too...man those things are pricey!)
10. Took my family to the Santa Cruz Boardwalk.

Goal #4 - Committed Spiritual Leader: This is probably the goal that I failed the most at. My hope was not to just be a Godly man or leader of my home, but rather to engage my wife and kids in the study of the Word and in helping to grow their relationships with God. I realize that I did this to some example through my leadership, but that wasn't the goal. This will definitely be something to focus on for 2009.

Goal #5 - Say "WOW" on 1/1/2009: OK. I definitely said "WOW" on 1/1/2009. I must admit, though, it was not for what I was expecting (or hoping) that it would be for. I had all these ideas of how 2008 was going to go and how I could respond at the end of the year. It went nothing like I planned, and it amazed me even more to see how God worked through it all... Wow!

Well, there you have it. My 2008 Revolutionary Goal Summary...have you started working on your goals yet? Start looking for more on my goals this week and next!

No comments: