Monday, November 3, 2008

My Year through the Bible...Can you "Act" like that?

Well, I have made it through the gospels and all their redundancy. It is great reading about Jesus' life on earth and the miracles performed. I must admit, though, after the 2nd or 3rd time hearing the same story it can be easy to zone out.

I started into the book of Acts this weekend and right from the beginning it has been pretty exciting reading.

In the first 4 chapters the number of followers has increased by over 8000 and two of the disciples end up in jail for preaching a revival.

What really amazed me was John and Peter's response to the religious leaders when they were threatened to stop preaching about Jesus. John and Peter made it very clear to the religious leaders that they would not stop preaching. John and Peter responded in Chapter 4, verse 19:

"Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God's
sight to obey you rather than God.."

I like to think that I am sold out for Jesus. That what ever he would ask me to do, I would do it. However, as I read about the disciples ACTions in the first church, I begin to wonder if I could take the step of faith that they had to take.

I sometimes think we have it pretty easy, especially in America. We can preach openly and freely with no fears of being imprisoned. At most, people may laugh or ignore us.

The question I have to ask myself is this, "Would I be willing to sacrifice my life so that others may find Christ?"

I don't know if I will ever be able to truly answer that question unless given a chance to prove it. The same probably goes for you as well. In the meantime, I am going to seek God every chance I get and allow him to work through me...the best I know how. That is going to have to do for now.

How about you? Where do you stand?

No comments: