Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Your Dream Job!

Have you ever taken the time to think about your dream job?

What does it look like? What does it allow you to do? Does it pay alot of money? Is it require a huge amount of school? Is it a competitive job market? Could you switch to it later in life?

I have given it great thought. I have shared it with some of you on many occasions and it is no secret.

Yet, I think that sometimes as we begin to think about what our dream job looks like, it can very easily fall back into the "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" mentality.

We look at a career path of a friend or relative or even someone we don't know from a far and we think, now that is something I would love to do. In fact, we can even become obsessive about that new career path and begin preparing our lives to move into that career path. That may or may not be a good thing.

I don't think that changing careers is a bad thing. However, the point I want to make is that sometimes our view of a dream job can be very detached from reality. We often get to see the great parts of a new career, without seeing the problems and frustrations of the new career, until we are in that career.

Of course, every career has good and bad parts, and we as individuals have to decide are the good parts worth it to go through the bad parts?

This has been an amazing lesson that I have been going through over the past few months. I have learned alot about myself and about my current career and "dream career".

This process has given me great insite into who I am and what I truly need to feel fullfilled. I still have not come to a final conclusion in my life, and may not until I meet Jesus in person. However, I do want to leave you with this thought...

Perhaps the dream job you have always hoped for is the one you are doing right now!

No comments: