Monday, December 17, 2007

The Things in Life we take for granted!


I was driving this morning, and noticed a man walking with, what appears to be, his son. However, as I approached them, I realized that the son is not holding the hand of his father; rather he has his hand in the back pocket of the father's pants. If you look really close, you will notice that is because the man has no left arm.

We all know someone with a disability or handicap, maybe a missing limb, a lost sense, a crippling disease. How often, though, do think about the real impact that has on their life.

I cannot imagine what it would be like to not be able to hold my son's hand as we walk. To not have the ability to wrap my arms around my wife and kids and give them a big hug when I get home. I honestly can say I don't know what that would feel like.

I can say what it feels like to come home and complain about not getting the raise I expected...or complain about someone else parked in my spot, or how much it cost to fix the roof! Especially at this time of year, with the pressure of gifts, buying presents, who do I buy for, who do I send cards to?

Today, I am going to stop and take the time to hug my family and I assure you I will be greatful for the ability to do! Further I will be thankful for everything I do have!

No comments: