Monday, December 24, 2007

Facing the Giants - Part 3


It is time for the third installment of my first attempt at a series of blogs. As I was thinking about what to write, I was thinking about the movie. I then decided I wanted to talk about conquering fears. So I guess I will give it my best.


Once again, this is an interactive blog, so view the video, and then come back and read the rest of the blog:






As I prepare to start "tackling" the Welcome Ministries, my biggest problem is fear. I understand (even blogged) that God is in control. If we give him our wholeheart and commit to doing our best that all will be good. However, there is still fear.

My friend Ron has stepped up with our helping hands ministry, and he is taking it to new levels. I know that he is clearly seeking God in the process, if you are not sure, just read his blog. My other friend, Jon, has heard God's vision for the Creative Arts of our church and he is starting to go in new directions, and it is being well received.

I, of course, want to see that same kind of "success" in my ministry. I am praying and I am seeking God...but I am still scared.

I recently read Max Lucado's book, Facing your Giants, as well as watched the movie for which this blog is about. The best way to describe what I walked away with is something from the clip above. If you watch it again, you will see right before he kicks the ball, after the pep talk, after seeing his dad stand-up for him, he says a small prayer to God asking for help with the kick.

That is the key. I know I have said it before...but sometimes I need to rehear it over and over.

Football players practice every day, run plays, condition physically. When serving in ministry we should be doing the same thing...praying daily, Seeking God, conditioning our hearts and minds. During the game, though, the football team still communicates their plays and the coach tells them what to do throughout the game. No matter how much they practice and learn plays, they still need someone guiding them during the game. The same goes for us, even when we are prayed up, have heard a vision from God, we still need someone "coaching" us during game time.

That person is God, and the only way he can do that, is by us talking to him directly throughout the "game". I guess I just need to figure out how to get that through my thick skull...condition daily for the "game"...and when it is time, start talking with God so he can coach me through it!

No comments: