Thursday, September 11, 2008

Jury Duty

Well, today I got to do my civic duty and serve on Jury Duty. I have not had to go to Jury Duty more than 1 time in the last 15 years, do to my law enforcement background.

I wasn't sure what to expect. Needless to say I was surprised. Did you know they have free wi-fi in the jury waiting room now? And a cafe! Man, I was unprepared.

So I found out that only one group was called (about 30 jurors) to finish filling the last 2 positions on a criminal jury trial that was going to last 2 weeks!

I wasn't ultimately selected (again, I think, because of my law enforcement background), which I was a bit bummed about. I have never been able to serve on a jury.

Then I heard about the case. A guy is accussed of walking up to another guy, threatening him and stealing his cell phone. Since he threatened the guy, it makes it robbery, a felony, instead of petty theft, a misdemeanor. If that wasn't enough, this occurred in 2005! What? Three years ago.

It is no wonder that our court system is so behind and screwed up. We are trying a simple case, which is going to take 2 1/2 weeks of the courts time, 3 years after the case. Who will ever remember anything?

So I am wondering, has any one of you served on jury duty recently? What did you think of the court system? Is it as backwards as my experience or am I alone on this?

Enjoy the comic below...I thought it was pretty funny!

No comments: