Monday, September 22, 2008

AIDS, Music and more



Yesterday was one of those days. You know the kind of day I am talking about. You really can't wait for it to come you are so excited, then while it is here you are completely exhausted and can't wait for the day to end; lastly, once it is over you can't wait to do it again someday soon.

Now you know what I mean?

We had our services outdoors yesterday to accomodate the Step into Africa experience that has taken over our entire sanctuary. As Pastor Dave noted, we are the only church who was willing to use the sanctuary and displace its sunday service to accomodate the experience. Why? New Life believes that much in sharing this event with the world that it was worth the sacrifice.

In addition to outdoor services, we hosted a Staci Frenes concert last night. Staci is also a World Vision artist.

I was excited for this day. I couldn't wait. There is something about doing church as 1 service outdoors that is really cool. Yet, it made for a really long day. The first wave of us started showing up at about 6:30 to start building and assembling the stage, sound system, chairs, tents, etc. (after Eli spent all week prepping and repairing the system for sunday). After service it was time for a quick nap, lunch and then back to the church at 3:30 to start prepping for the concert.

After the concert, and thanks to a whole group of people who stayed to help, we cleared the stage in record time and I was heading home by 8:30.

The best part about it, is Jordan and I came back early (about 2:30) and him and I walked through the AIDS experience. Jordan and I got to spend the rest of the day together. We got to talk a bit about the experience. He got to run around with friends while I got ready for the concert, and then we went home together later. It was a great time together with my son.

It was a long day. I was totally exhausted. Yet, there was something special about the day that would make me want to do it all over again. How about you?

No comments: