Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Year Through the Bible...I can't wait!

Do you have things going on in your life that you have a hard time being patient on the Lord? Perhaps it is a career change (or career start), a new baby, a job, your first home, a spouse...and so on.

Sometimes it seems like it is never going to happen. We just can't wait! I get that way sometimes. In fact, I am going through that right now. I am impatient!

There are two things that I am impatient about: The first, I want to transition out of secular work and into a full-time ministry career. The second, to be completely out of debt...after all the stupid mistakes I have made with my finances.

I pray regularly and deep down I truly know that everything happens in God's timing. I know that! I believe that! It doesn't change the fact that it is something I struggle with.

Today I was reading through Psalm 90. This is a Psalm written by Moses. I think it might be the oldest written Psalm...but I'm not sure. In it Moses is writting about the faith in God and how he is eternal. I wanted to share with you vs. 4:

For a thousand years in your sight
are like a day that has just gone by,
or like a watch in the night.

In this, Moses is explaining to us, how to God a thousand years feels like just a day...or even less a watch in the night. If you understand a guards watch, it is typically about 4 hours. What! To God a thousand years is like just 4 hours.

I got to thinking about this and trying to understand why that was written that way. Moses is talking about eternal perspective, and I think that is something that we clearly do not have the ability to do. We have the ability to think about things and how they will impact our eternity. Yet, do we have the ability to look at a situation and see how it fits in to God's eternal plan. Of course not, we can't see his eternal plan.

This verse really helped me today to be just a bit more patient on the Lord. It really helped to remind me that the things that we think are so important are but a spec in God's master plan. (Yes they certainly matter to him, as do we) God will meet our needs and desires, just as soon as they fit in with his view of time.

So, if you are getting a bit impatient about something, let me encourage you to spend a little times in Psalm 90:4 and let the Lord remind you, as he did me, that we matter very much to him and that he will meet our needs, but it will be when it fits his master plan.

No comments: