Monday, February 25, 2008

My Year through the Bible...Who is piercing your ears?

In Moses' second sermon in Deuteronomy, he is teaching on finances and debt forgiveness. In Chapter 15, Moses talks about releasing your slaves from servitude and what to do if they don't want to leave you...Deuteronomy 15:16-17:

"But if your servant says to you, "I do not want to leave you," because he loves you and your family and is well off with you, then take an awl and push it through his ear lobe into the door, and he will become your servant for life..."

At first I really didn't think to much of it. I thought, why would anyone want to be a servant/slave for life. What a great concept, every 7 years released from indebtedness, slavery, or any other financial obligation. Then I read something that made me think about these verses again...Psalm 40:6,8:

"Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but my ears you have pierced...I desire to do your will, O my God..."

Oh, um...that's what I meant, I want to be a servant of God. Oh who am I kidding...I never would have put 2 and 2 together to figure this out, had I not read the verse in Psalms, which was provided to me by my daily study bible.

What a heart David had, to be a servant of God first and forever. That is a heart I would love to have. I don't...but I sure would love to. I pray that someday I will reach that point. Right now, there are masters in my life that are preventing me to allow God to pierce my ear. In fact, sometimes as I continue to make the same mistakes over and over (see my earlier post) I think that I am telling that master in my life that I want to serve it forever and that it should go ahead and pierce my ear now and get it over with.

I have a decision to make, do I surrender now and allow something to pierce my ear, or am I going to fight for the opportunity to serve God first and forever!

Who is going to pierce your ear?


post signature

No comments: