Monday, February 25, 2008

My Year through the Bible...what is your god?

Exodus 20:3 says:

"You shall have no other gods before me"

How often do we really give this serious thought. Do we evaluate all that we do in our day? Do we think of just the big ones, i.e. careers, money, status, acceptance, etc.? Do we take the time to think of everything that may have control of our life?

As I was reading through Deuteronomy 5 & 6, I was reminded in Deuteronomy 5:7 not to have any other gods before God. I think that I have lesser gods that at times take priority in my life. I certainly strive for acceptance. As a secretly insecure person, I work very hard for acceptance by putting out an appearance of having it all together. I also struggle with spending. For me, I don't spend to create an image of success in my life. Rather, I spend because I can't stand something that works right or is imperfect. I realize it is an excuse, but it is how I function. Instead of accepting an imperfection in something, I would soon replace it. If my vehicle has a small oil leak that causes no real problems, I can't stand it. I am sure the vehicle is about to blow the engine, and I need a new vehicle. Ok! I realize I am a bit OCD or any other adjectives to describe it.

Today, as I was reading Moses' sermon in Deuteronomy, I came to a part of his message that really hit me as a great reminder. It was Deuteronomy 6:10-12:

"When the Lord your God brings you into the land he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, to give you -- a land with large flourishing cities you did not build, houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig, and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant -- then when you eat and are satisfied, be careful that you do not forget the Lord, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."

I think sometimes, at least for me, our gods are a result of nothing else but forgetting that God is the one who provides and meets ALL our needs. Yes, we should work hard, be a good employee, husband, father, Christian, etc. Yet, if that becomes our god, it is because "I" want to make it work, instead of trusting in the Lord to make it happen. We forget the Lord, who brought us to where we are today.

What is your god? Have you given up your trust in the lord, to focus on your god?


post signature

No comments: