Monday, June 1, 2009

Father and Son

This last Friday, I had to run some stuff up to the cabin. I wasn't staying, it was an up and back trip, so I decided to take my oldest with me.

This was not a trip, for the purposes of instilling great wisdom, or to lead my son down the path of manhood. It was simply a trip that I had put off, that needed to get done, and I didn't want to do it alone. So, Friday after work, we loaded up and off we went to the cabin.

What resulted was something extremely amazing, something that could have been lost forever. We had no planned conversations, or expectations. However, we had a chance to explore every topic under the sun. My son had questions about this and that and everything in between.

For about 5 hours, he had my undivided attention, with no work interruptions, TV/computer interruptions, family interruptions. Just 5 hours dedicated to answering and talking about anything that he chose, with a few topics thrown in by me.

For me, this was probably one of the best times we have had together in a long time and will be a memory I won't forget. That evening, more than once, Jordan told me how much fun that was and he can't wait until we do it again.

Often times life gets in the way of opportunities for great parenting moments. Great parenting moments can't be planned, scheduled or arranged. They simply happen. The only thing we can do, is make room so that there is an opportunity for it to occur and then be there to be a part of it.

I am happy that I remembered to do that this time. Let's hope I don't forget next time!

How about you?

No comments: