Sunday, January 6, 2008

2008 Revolutionary Goals

I, like most of you, use a momentous occasion like a New Year to reflect on the past and determine what I need to do better in life, as a husband, father, employee/employer and most importantly as a child of God.

I have read many blogs, including Pastor Dave's, about others who have set goals for the new year. I have prayed (believe it or not, yes I want God involved in this decision), I have talked with friends, and thought about the good and bad of the last year.

So, in no particular order here is my goals for a Revolutionary 2008. (Disclaimer - These are not all original ideas, I may have borrowed, stole, or otherwise used ideas that I may have read elsewhere, or heard someone talk about.)

Goal #1:
To read through the entire bible from cover to cover. I have never done this. I have always focused my readings based on a current study, looking for something specific, or simply to meditate on a particular verse. I have chosen to use the Daily Walk Bible from Walk Thru the Bible Ministries. This particular version takes you from Genesis 1:1 to Revelation 22:21 in order. This is how I wanted to read it, cover to cover.

Goal #2:
To read 12 books. That is one a month. If I can't make time to do that, then I really need to focus on finding the distractions in my life and cut them out.

Goal #3:
To do 10 things I have never done before. If I don't watch it, I tend to be the type of person that rides along in the boat and never stands up, that just might rock the boat. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I am tired of being a boring Christian. I want some excitement. I believe that part of that preparing is to teach myself to be more open and willing to try new things. I do not know what these 10 things may be. It could be trying a new type of food, or visiting a place I have never been, or perhaps trying something new with my family. I am not sure what it will be, but I will let you know as they happen!

Goal #4:
To be more committed as the spiritual leader of our household. It is one thing to make great plans for my personal growth. I can pray all day and read the bible all night, but if I leave my family in the dust, then who do I have to talk to when God talks to me? Who do I have to share my heart's desires and check to see if he has given them those same desires. To accomplish this, I have set out to do the following:
  • Read from the Bible, nightly, to my children and discuss what we read.
  • Pray with my kids outside of our usual meals and evening prayers.
  • Complete a Beth Moore Bible Study with Autumn.
  • Pray with Autumn daily (or as often as possible) about what it is God WILL be doing through us...after all I did open my big mouth.
  • Encourage my family to read through their bibles daily and set aside their own time with the Lord.
Goal #5:
To sit down on 1/1/2009 and be able to say "WOW, Can you believe God did that in our lives?"


These by no means are perfect, and are not meant to tell you what you should be doing in your own life or family. I am simply sharing what God has put on my heart. I may have a completely different outlook in 6 months, but for now, this is going to be the focus of my life this year.

How about you? Have you set any goals? I would love to hear them!


post signature

No comments: